Linguistic Analysis of Violence in Written Material of Mass Shooters Project
The objective of this research is to analyze the content of written materials (e.g., journals, letters, tweets, video transcripts, manifestos) of mass shooters using linguistic software to examine the association of the use of violent language and negative emotions with mass violence in schools and public settings.
- Survey the literature about perpetrators of mass shootings in schools and public settings
- Develop a list and catalogue of incidents where written material and videos by the mass shooter are available
- Pilot test linguistic software to analyze the diaries and journals of the Columbine killers
- Contribute articles to first-rate journals about this under-studied area.
Long Term Impact
- ? Dissemination of research findings for use of linguistic analyses for intervention and prevention of mass
- Development of a research agenda for ongoing analyses of catalogued cases.
- Development of a multidimensional theoretical model.