Center for Child Welfare – Quality Parenting Initiative (QPI)
A remote on-line foster parent training and support project which is designed to support and enhance QPI by using several on-line approaches to training, mentoring, and support. The project offers “Just in Time” training in responses to requests from foster parents and trainers which incorporate mentoring, modeling, and coaching by experienced and skilled foster parents and training professionals. Because training is provided in real time on- line, foster parents and trainers from across the state can interact and share insights and concerns.
QPI established an advisory committee to this project that will make recommendations for the design and operation of the coordinating function and help assess the effectiveness of the training.
- Training – The Center will work with QPI leaders and stakeholders to identify and coordinate clinical or related professionals, foster parent mentors, trainers, etc. to facilitate learning, discussion, “scenario debriefing,” questions and answers, peer learning and interaction for and among the on-line participants in real-time. State and, in some cases, National experts will be brought into the training event remotely from their locations throughout the nation eliminating the need for costly travel or excessive delays in delivering training due to logistical planning.
- On-Line Training Requests:
QPI training request function is embedded in the Center’s web portal. The QPI Training request is a simple on-line form that allows foster parents, trainers or supporters to request training. QPI training staff quickly follow up and coordinate training events to address the need. The site will continue to provide foster parents and trainers with easy access to information, people, and resources to meettheir particular need.
- Produce on-line multi-media. Select trainings events will be recorded and posted to The Center’s multi-media library in an edited format to maximize their future use. Expert editing services will be used to ensure professional quality and composition in line with the focuses of the content and the QPI learning objectives.
- Provide foster parents and licensing professionals with certified training hours that can be applied for relicensing.
Long Term Impact
- Improve child welfare service operations in Florida through the identification and delivery of on-line and interactive training services specifically for foster parents and related substitute caregivers. Increased expertise and “professionalization” of foster care direct services throughout Florida.
- Disseminate system change training provided by QPI Florida lead project staff.